Open Burning FAQs

Q: How do I obtain a burning permit?

A: A permit can be obtained by submitting an application to the fire marshal’s office. The application can be downloaded by clicking here. Permits cost $50.00 and are valid for 20 days from the date of issuance.

Q: What can I burn?

A: A burning permit allows you to burn twigs and branches up to three inches in diameter. Burning of construction debris, leaves, and logs is prohibited.

Q: Can I burn on a rainy day?

A: Generally, burning on a rainy day is not allowed because it does not allow the smoke to rise and dissipate into the air, causing a health hazard from the smoke.

Q: What do I have to do before I begin burning?

A: The fire marshal shall inspect the burn pile before issuing a permit. Upon issuing the permit you must call New Milford Dispatch at 860-355-3133. They will tell you whether burning is allowed that day based on the State of CT Burning Index. You must give them your permit number. DO NOT CALL the Fire Marshal’s office.

Q: Is there a website that can tell me the fire danger for each day?

A: Yes, click on this link to see the CT Daily Forest Fire Danger Report.